Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Relationships: What To Do If Your Parents Don’t Like Your Fiance(e)

Sometimes, no matter how much in love you are, you can’t seem to convince your parents that your partner is the best person for you. Here are a few steps to take if dad and mum couldn’t care less for your intended:
 1,Find Out Why
This won’t be easy but they’re your parents and they love you. Even if their dislike is misguided, you owe it to them to hear them out. No matter what, they want the best for you so indulge them and listen to their concerns because they have your best interests at heart.
2, Talk To Your Friends.
Get a second opinion. Tell your friends about the situation and ask if they agree with your parents. If your friends dislike your fiancé too, then your parents concerns might be valid.
3, Be Honest With Yourself
If no one who’s close to you likes the person you plan to spend the rest of your life with, then it’s time to re-evaluate the situation. Look deep within yourself and determine if they’re right to dislike your intended.
4, Try To Reason With Them
If your parents’ concerns have no foundation, then try to reason with them. If they dislike your fiancé(e) because of his hair cut or her tribe for no real reason except that he or she is different, then there’s the possibility of them being convinced that different isn’t always bad.
5, Give It Time
Exercise a little patience. Maybe your parents don’t know your fiancé(e) well enough. Try to show them the good side of your partner. Let them see why you fell in love with him/her. Their dislike might just be an error of judgment on their part which can be cleared over time.
6, Make A Decision
If after all this, you still can’t convince your parents to change their minds about your fiancé(e), then it’s time to take a decision. Can you cope with the consequences of being with someone your parents don’t approve of?
 Or do you want to just call it off?
 Whatever decision you make, you’re the one who will have to live with it because it is actually you who will be married to that person and not your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Comments Are Welcomed!